Robertson Stadium History
Sept. 18, 1942
Nov. 24, 2012
First Houston Game
Southwest Louisiana 13, Houston 7 – Sept. 21, 1946
Final Houston Game
Houston 40, Tulane 17 – Nov. 24, 2012
First Houston Win
Houston 34, Texas A&I 0 – Oct. 12, 1946
Lamar High School 26, Dallas Adamson 7 – Sept. 18, 1942
All-Time Home Record
Dedicated on May 3, 1970 in honor of Corbin J. Robertson, chairman of the UH athletic committee for 20 years and driving force behind establishment and success of UH athletics.
Largest UH Crowd
32,413 vs. Southern Miss, 12/3/2011
37,981, Dallas Texans vs. Houston Oilers 12/3/1962
Public School Stadium opens
Sept. 18, 1942
First Game: Lamar High School 26, Dallas Adamson 7
Home of the Cougars
Sept. 21, 1946
First Houston Game: Louisiana-Lafayette 13, Houston 7
Renamed Jeppesen Stadium
Houston 10, Texas A&M 0
Home of the Houston Oilers of the AFL
Jan. 1, 1961
Houston Oilers defeat the Los Angeles Chargers 24-16 in AFL’s first title game
Dec. 23, 1962
Dallas Texans defeat Houston Oilers 20-17 (OT) in front of 37,981.
University of Houston purchases Jeppesen Stadium
May 3, 1980
Dedicated Robertson Stadium
NCAA Track and Field Championships
U.S. Olympic Sports Festival
U.S. Outdoor Championships
Sept. 9 1995
Cougars play Louisiana Tech to celebrate opening of Athletics/Alumni Center
Dedicated O’Quinn Field at Robertson Stadium after $6-million gift from John and Julie O’Quinn.
Dec. 1, 2006
Houston hosts the Conference USA Championship, defeating Southern Miss 34-20 for the league title.
Dec. 3, 2011
Undefeated Cougars host Southern Miss in the C-USA Championship, falling 49-28 in front of a record crowd of 32,413.
Nov. 24, 2012
Houston plays its final game in Robertson Stadium and comes away with a 40-17 win over Tulane. The Cougars close their all-time record in the stadium at 72-44-1.
Dec. 3, 2012
Demolition of the 70-year old Robertson Stadium officially begins.
Robertson Stadium Information
- Robertson Stadium was a joint project of the Houston Independent School District (HISD) and the Works Progress Administration (WPA), a federal agency created by President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Deal.
- HISD purchased the land (60 acres) now bound by Holman, Cullen (formerly St. Bernard’s street), Elgin and Wheeler Streets for $75,000 – an average of $1,253 per acre.
- Renamed Jeppesen Stadium in 1958 in honor of Holger Jeppesen, a longtime member of the Houston School Board.
- 1960 K.S. “Bud” Adams, new owner of Houston Oilers in the American Football league, signed a lease to play home games at Robertson Stadium. Expand seating from 22,000 to 36,000.
- Cougars play only game between 1951-94 at Robertson Stadium on Friday, Sept. 25 1964, and shutout Texas A&M, 10-0
- Underwent $2 million facelift in 1983 for the NCAA Track and Field Championships and further renovations came in 1989 when Cougar and Olympian Carl Lewis provided new runways and resurfacing of the track which served as his training home.
- Houston played two games on campus in 1996 and three in 1997 before returning to Robertson full-time in 1998.
- As part of $6 million gift from John and Julie O’Quinn, several renovations took place between 1998 and 1999. Capacity was raised from 20,500 to approximately 33,000. The track was replaced with a ring of lower tiered seating and the playing field was lowered nine feet. Seating was constructed in each endzone and 32 luxury suites on both sides of stadium were added along with concession stands and restrooms built in each endzone. A new scoreboard and sound system were installed, as well as new sidewalks, walkway, fencing, patios and interior and exterior landscaping.